- HOW TO...
- TOP CLUB PICKS
- BOOK SPOTLIGHT
- AUTHOR CHATS
- December 2013 Book of the Month
- Weekly Review Roundup: The Best Books of November
- This Month's Book Giveaways, Issue 1
- Weekly Book Review Roundup: The Best Books of October
- October 2013 Book of the Month
- November's Book of the Month Giveaway: The Night of the Comet
- The Necessary Lies Road Trip Newsletter
BKMT READING GUIDES
Crewel (Crewel World)
by Gennifer Albin
Hardcover : 368 pages
1 club reading this now
0 members told 0 friends about this book.
0 members have read this book
What a tangled world she weaves...
For generations, Spinsters have been called by Arras's Manipulation Services to work the looms and determine what people eat, where they live, how many children they have, and even when they die. Gifted with the rare ability to weave time with matter, Adelice is exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But once you become a Spinster, there is no turning back. Now caught in a web of lies and intrigue, Adelice must decide who to trust: her kind mentor, Enora; the handsome and mysterious valet Jost; or the charismatic Guild ambassador Cormac Patton. They each have secrets, but Adelice is about to unravel the deadliest one of all, a sinister truth that could destroy reality as she knows it.
In a powerful and original debut about a world where the Guild decides everything, one extraordinary girl dares to defy the power of men and the boundaries of love.
Editorial ReviewNo editorial review at this time.
I CAN COUNT THE DAYS UNTIL SUMMER draws to a close and autumn seeps into the leaves, painting them ginger and scarlet. Right now, though, the dappled light of mid-afternoon is glorious emerald, and it’s hot on my face. With sun soaking into me, everything is possible. When it is inevitably gone—the seasons programmed to begin and end with smooth precision—life will take its predetermined route. Like a machine. Like me. ... view entire excerpt...
Discussion Questions1. In Crewel, Spinsters weave the fabric of life around them. What kinds of problems might come from one group having this much power and control over others?
2. If you could weave time to control the world around you, what changes might you make?
3. Gennifer Albin’s dystopian Crewel World is different in many ways from our present world. In what ways is it similar? Does it reflect any of the problems in today’s society?
Book Club Recommendations
Recommended to book clubs by 2 of 2 members.
Join the leading website for book clubs with over 35,000 clubs and 20,000 reading guides.
Get free weekly updates on top club picks, book giveaways, author events and more