- HOW TO...
- TOP CLUB PICKS
- BOOK SPOTLIGHT
- Top Rated Books
- Book Giveaways
- New Releases
- NPR Great Reads for Book Clubs 2015
- From Page to Screen
- Pulitzer Prize Winners (Novel)
- New York Times Bestsellers (Fiction)
- New York Times Bestsellers (Non-Fiction)
- Most Anticipated Books of February
- Amazon Best Books of the Month
- The NYT Most Notable Books of 2015 (Fiction)
- Now in Paperback
- People Magazine Best Books of 2015
- iBooks Best Books of the Month
- National Book Award Winners (Fiction)
- The NYT Most Notable Books of 2015 (Non-Fiction)
- Book Club Review: "Beautiful"
- Entertainment Weekly Best Books of 2015
- Indie Next Best Books of the Month
- Book Club Review: "Fun"
- AUTHOR CHATS
BKMT READING GUIDES
Harvest: A Novel
by Jim Crace
Hardcover : 224 pages
0 clubs reading this now
0 members have read this book
On the morning after harvest, the inhabitants of a remote English village awaken looking forward to a hard-earned day of rest and feasting at their landowner's table. But the sky is marred by two conspicuous columns of smoke, replacing pleasurable anticipation with alarm and suspicion.
One smoke column is the result of an overnight fire that has damaged the master's outbuildings. The second column rises from the wooded edge of the village, sent up by newcomers to announce their presence. In the minds of the wary villagers a mere coincidence of events appears to be unlikely, with violent confrontation looming as the unavoidable outcome. Meanwhile, another newcomer has recently been spotted taking careful notes and making drawings of the land. It is his presence more than any other that will threaten the village's entire way of life.
In effortless and tender prose, Jim Crace details the unraveling of a pastoral idyll in the wake of economic progress. His tale is timeless and unsettling, framed by a beautifully evoked world that will linger in your memory long after you finish reading.
Editorial ReviewNo editorial review at this time.
ExcerptNo Excerpt Currently Available
Discussion QuestionsNo discussion questions at this time.
Book Club Recommendations
Recommended to book clubs by 0 of members.
Join the leading website for book clubs with over 35,000 clubs and 20,000 reading guides.
Get free weekly updates on top club picks, book giveaways, author events and more