- HOW TO...
- TOP CLUB PICKS
- BOOK SPOTLIGHT
- Top Rated Books
- Book Giveaways
- New Releases
- Now in Paperback
- New York Times BestsellersThis Week-Print and E-Book
- NYT Most Notable Books
- NPR's Best Books of 2013 for Book Clubs
- Entertainment Weekly's Top 10 Must Read Books of 2013
- USA Today's Top 10 Must Reads of 2013
- Huffington Post's Best Books of 2013
- NYT Notable Books of 2013 (Non-Fiction)
- National Book Critics Circle Awards Nominees 2014
- NYT 10 Best Books of 2013
- O Magazine Top 10 Reads of 2013
- Book Club Review: "Beautiful"
- Book Club Review: "Fun"
- AUTHOR CHATS
- August Author of the Month Jan Karon Returns to Mitford in Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good
- This Week at BookMovement
- Author Road trip to 17th century France with M.J. Rose and Sandra Gulland
- The Interestings Road Trip: Meg Wolitzer & I Discuss Moments of Strangeness
- Interview with Jane Green, author of Tempting Fate
- The Comfort of Lies Road Trip
- The Visionist Road Trip
- The Necessary Lies Road Trip Newsletter
BKMT READING GUIDES
Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath
by Mimi Alford
Hardcover : 208 pages
1 club reading this now
0 members told 0 friends about this book.
2 members have read this book
In the summer of 1962, nineteen-year-old Mimi Beardsley arrived by train in Washington, D.C., to begin an internship in the White House press office. The Kennedy Administration had reinvigorated the capital and the country?and Mimi was eager to contribute. For a young woman from a privileged but sheltered upbringing, the job was the chance of a lifetime. Although she started as a lowly intern, Mimi made an impression on Kennedy's inner circle and, after just three days at the White House, she was presented to the President himself.
Almost immediately, the two began an affair that would continue for the next eighteen months.
In an era when women in the workplace were still considered ?girls,? Mimi was literally a girl herself?naïve, innocent, emotionally unprepared for the thrill that came when the President's charisma and power were turned on her full-force. She was also unprepared for the feelings of isolation that would follow as she fell into the double life of a college student who was also the secret lover of the most powerful man in the world. Then, after the President's tragic death in Dallas, she grieved in private, locked her secret away, and tried to start her life anew, only to find that her past would cast a long shadow?and ultimately destroy her relationship with the man she married.
In 2003, a Kennedy biographer mentioned ?a tall, slender, beautiful nineteen-year-old college sophomore and White House intern, who worked in the press office? in reference to one of the President's affairs. The disclosure set off a tabloid frenzy and soon exposed Mimi and the secret that she had kept for forty-one years. Because her past had been revealed in such a shocking, public way, she was forced, for the first time, to examine the choices she?d made. She came to understand that shutting down one part of her life so completely had closed her off from so much more.
No longer defined by silence or shame, Mimi Alford has finally unburdened herself with this searingly honest account of her life and her extremely private moments with a very public man. Once Upon a Secret offers a new and personal depiction of one of our most iconic leaders and a powerful, moving story of a woman coming to terms with her past and moving out of the shadows to reclaim the truth.
Editorial ReviewNo editorial review at this time.
ExcerptNo Excerpt Currently Available
Discussion QuestionsNo discussion questions at this time.
Book Club Recommendations
Recommended to book clubs by 0 of 0 members.
Join the leading website for book clubs with over 35,000 clubs and 20,000 reading guides.
Get free weekly updates on top club picks, book giveaways, author events and more